Building on the popularity of the Aspects of Modelling series designed primarily for railway modellers, Ian Allan Publishing is extending the coverage of the series to encompass other hobby modelling areas. The first of these titles looks in detail at an area of increasing popularity worldwide, that of slot car racing, which is practiced both at an organized club level, but also at home using Scalextric and other similar manufacturers' products.
Most of those pursuing the hobby quickly move on from just racing cars to want to learn how to improve the performance of their cars, control systems (including computer applications), track layouts, power supplies, driving skills etc. There is a wealth of advice in the community on these subjects, but this book brings together all this disparate knowledge into one practical 'how to' volume. In the style of the series the practical text is supplemented by clear photographs and diagrams to guide the reader.
Subjects covered include:
- Home racing sets
- BSCRA cars in both 1/32 and 1/24 scale
- 'Hard body' type cars (such as Scalextric etc)
- HO scale slot cars
- Technical aspects of chassis and motors
- Body shells
- Other skills such as soldering
- Tracks and track construction
- Power supplies, lap counters, control systems (including computer applications)
- The club scene, including championships and other competitions from local to world level
- Other organisations such as the National Scalextric Collectors Club
- Glossary and directory of contacts/organisations